Vacation: Iraq

Me relating my experience in Iraq. Cheesy at times, but I try to keep it real. Also post-Iraq experiences.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Gear Inventory

I was about to send this email out to my cousin James, but I figured I would just post it here, in case any of you were wondering...?

Do you have an AK47?

Yes, we have AK-47's that we take out to the range and fire. Some are in better condition than others.

Do you ride a tank or a jeep?

I ride in a High Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) M1114. It's closer to a jeep than a tank. It's uparmored to the max and has proven itself more than once. My team supports a battalion from the 1st Armored Division, which is a tanker battalion. There are many M1 Abrahams rolling around the FOB. I'll post a picture of one for ya.

Do you have a rocket launcher?

No, my team does not carry the AT4 (Rocket Launcher). They're mainly for blowin' up tanks and heavily armored vehicles. Iraqis aren't big on armor.

What kind of suit do you have – if you have one?

I wear the Army Combat Uniform (ACU). Occasionally I wear the Desert Combat Uniform (DCU). I do have a MOPP suit, which is a chemical protection suit...but that stays at the bottom of my duffel bag. My vest is made of kevlar and has bullet proof plates in the front and back. On my vest I carry 10 mags of 5.56mm for my M4. I also carry 3 magazines of 9mm for my M9 and usually around 4 grenades for my M203. I'll usually also have a smoke grenade as well as some medical gear. My vest with a full combat load weighs around 40 pounds. With my ACH (Army Combat Helmet) and weapons, my gear weighs in around 55 pounds.

Do you have a sniper rifle? I would like to know what kind of guns you have.

No, I don't have a sniper rifle. There are sniper teams that use sniper rifles, and if we need sniper support we talk to those guys. I carry an M4 Carbine (my rifle) with an M203 Grenade Launcher attachment. On my leg, I carry an M9 Beretta pistol. When I'm up in the turret I use an M240B Machine Gun with around 1,000 rounds of 7.62mm in the truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home