Vacation: Iraq

Me relating my experience in Iraq. Cheesy at times, but I try to keep it real. Also post-Iraq experiences.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Tell me about your latest adventure...

I don't write well when I sit down to write on my blog. I got in here tonight and was answering a question one of my good friends asked me. "Tell me about your latest adventure." So I told her about yesterday...

...as I was riding down this canal road going from place to place searching for weapons caches out in the middle of nowhere.
Someone called in a tip and we ended up raiding this house and finding all kinds of stuff. Supposedly the guy was a local militia and just used the gear to protect his village. He had IED making material though, and that's not really necessary for protecting your village. I guess one of the guys at the house was a local religious figure, an Imam, and so all these people came by telling us to release him and that he's a good man and all that. We didn't release him, though he probably was innocent. The US guys were ripping down pictures of ____ which will probably create some sort of backlash from that village. They didn't understand. They usually don't.
I spent about an hour and a half consoling these three women. One of the women had a young son, he was about 6; he really didn't know what to think of his dad being taken away. I think he was pretty confused, but he didn't seem upset. I gave him a hand sanitizing wipe to clean off his hands. He used it and I gave him another. He seemed like a good kid. The little girl kept starting to cry but I'd smile at her and she'd stop. I was talking to the women for a while, pretending like I was trying to help them so that I could collect information. Well, I think I was pretending to collect information so I could help them through this. They kept looking outside at their husbands lined up in front of all their weapons and explosives, bandana tied around their eyes, hands cuffed with flexcuffs behind their backs.
The mosque speakers came on. It sounded to me like a call to prayer but the interpreter was saying they were telling US forces to leave the town. That doesn't happen all that often. There were gunshots on the street. All the mechanics lining the street got in their cars and left. I motioned to my HMMWV to come block traffic but the gunshots were ours.
I went back inside and helped load the cache into the 5 ton that pulled up. Another unit had came and they were trying to say that we were in their AO and that the weapons were coming with them. We took the weapons anyway. I wish I had brought my camera. I would liked to have taken a picture of the boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home